Friday 14 August 2020

Saucy but Fun



One of my friends is having a staycation in a seaside town and sent me a funny postcard (not any of the ones I'm going to share) It reminded me of a couple of posts I did regarding saucy postcards

This is one of them

One English graphic artist by the name of Donald McGill become synonymous with a whole genre of saucy seaside postcards that were sold mostly in small shops in British coastal towns. The cards feature an array of attractive young women, fat old ladies, drunken middle aged men, honeymoon couples and vicars. He has been called 'the king of the saucy postcard', and his work is collected and appreciated for his artistic skill, its power of social observation and earthy sense of humour. Even at the height of his fame he only earned three guineas a design, but today his original artwork can fetch thousands of pounds.

His cards were issued in 1904. Sadly he died in 1962 with only £735 in the bank despite his illustrations selling 200m copies. His saucy cards were sold in coastal towns, were hugely popular during the first half of the 20th century.

He was once charged for breaking the Obscene Publications Act of 1857 and fined £50.00 as they found his double entrendes too risque.









Stay safe and try and have a fun weekend.

Ronnie
xx

10 comments:

Michael M said...

I remember these from my seaside holidays as a child.
Very saucy in those days. For magazines you only had Health and Efficiency with the naughty bits airbrushed out.

Anonymous said...

My favourite was:

Man entering shop to buxom young female assistant - "Excuse me Miss, do you keep stationery?"

"Oh no, sometimes I like to wiggle about a bit..."

Roz said...

Love these Ronnie, these are great. Clever and funny. What a shame the artist didn't get the recognition and rewards he deserved.

Have a wonderful weekend, stay safe.

Hugs
Roz

Glenmore said...

Too bad he didn't have more spanking in his content , but perhaps he was censored back in those days?
He certainly knew how to draw a female bottom , nice and round and juicy!
Love the first drawing of bottoms on display , although I'd love them to be rosy red.
Thanks for sharing Ronnie!

Minielle Labraun said...

Well my friend, these are great! Hmmm wonder if I could work on red bottomed post cards?
Have a great weekend!

Aimless Rambling said...

These are terrific, thanks for sharing.

PK said...

These are just wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Delightful double entendre, and thanks for the history of this wonderful artist, who sadly was somewhat before his time. Nowadays, he would make quite a fortune. Loved the post.
bottoms up
Red

Hermione said...

Such cheeky cards! Thank you for finding these.

Hugs,
Hermione

ronnie said...

Michael - I wonder if they are still on sale as I haven't been to one of our seaside towns for yonks. Thanks.

Roz - Yes a shame he didn't. Thanks.

Glenmore - I'll have t look to see if there any with spanking content. Thanks.

Minelle - I'd love to see some if you do. Thanks.

SG - My pleasure. Thanks.

PK - Thanks. They make me smile.

Red - Thanks. I wished I had kept some of his cards.

Hermione - Happy you enjoyed them. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx