Monday 15 April 2019

A cane shortage

So for some reason there is a shortage of kooboo cane of a certain size. I'm not saying there is less being grown but the amount arriving in the UK, or at least in the sizes I need for my little business, seems to have virtually dried up. One importer told me the shipping rules in Indonesia, where ours come from, had changed and they now had to be routed through China which causes a delay and, apparently, changes in the way they are sorted.

Length isn't the problem, it's diameter that's missing. The most purchased diameters, 8mm and 9mm, haven't been available since before Christmas and I'm almost out. I've found a supplier in Holland but it will be a couple of weeks before we get them and then they have to be cut and shaped. I told P about it and he asked me if other vendors were taking certain sizes off sale and in fact some are. He said it was an opportunity so double up on my order with Holland and start wholesaling. Haha everything is so simple to my husband.

I wondered why I'd been getting a big increase in overseas orders, I mentioned it on here, from mid January onwards and now I think I know the reason there must be shortages in other countries. Well I'm not as bold as P so I won't be ramping up my order too much but I would hate to think bottoms across the globe were missing out on the attentions they need from time to time:)

 


Have a good week.
 
Ronnie
xx

10 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie,

Oh no, a cane shortage! That won't do! Love P's idea. I hope this doesn't overly impact your business.

Hugs
Roz

NoraJean said...

Haha! ... Roz stole my line :))) .... seriously, tho' I hope you are able to sort your supply issues ... and you might want to pay attention to what P has to say or he'll be paying you some extra attention :)) ... hugs ... nj

PK said...

If it helps any I won't be ordering a cane any time soon - so if you were holding one back for me, you can go ahead and sell it to someone else.

Hermione said...

How strange that there should be a shortage of canes of that particular diameter. You are so brave to be a businesswoman. Wholesaling might come next!

Hugs,
Hermione

Ella said...

Since P is such a sharp business man, it may be wise to consider his suggestion. Nothing like having a corner on the market to raise the prices. You could make a killing in the cane market and buy a little house on your favorite beach, Ronnie. We could even read about you across the pond in the Wall Street Journal.

British Woman Makes Her Fortune
and Global Bottoms Say Thanks!

Hugs From Ella :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with P that you should increase your order size, as you will eventually sell them, and may be able to profit on the shortage for some time.
However, I am bewildered, as I do not see anywhere on your blog that you sell canes.
bottoms up
Red

Aimless Rambling said...

Too funny. You know P is right and if you run out of product you just might get a spanking if you don't do as he says. Either way you win.

Rosie Jones said...

Take advantage while you can, Ronnie!
Rosie xx

Fondles said...

LOL I loved PK's comment. Gosh, I hope the 50 cent canes we get around these parts aren't affected by this shortage. One never knows what can happen. i might buy a few to stock up!

ronnie said...

Roz - I doubt it will, but you never know. Thanks.

Nora Jean - I've never ordered from Norway so I shall see what the quality is like before I decide if I want to reorder. Thanks.

PK - Thank you. I've just sold the one I was keeping for you:)

Hermione - Those particularly diameters are my biggest seller. Not sure on the wholesaling yet. Thanks.

Ella - LOL. You do make me laugh. Will have to pass your comment onto P. Thanks.

Red - I still sell canes via Jack on Etsy and elsewhere which is the busiest, but I don't mix with my blog now because I sell other items too and my identity could be exposed which I don't want to happen. Thanks,

SG - I do love it when it's a win win for me. Thanks.

Rosie - Not sure if I will yet. Thanks.

Fondles - It's the kooboo canes that are short supply so if your 50 cents ones aren't, you should be OK. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx