Monday 20 June 2022

Economies

We should be making some, really, I told my husband. It seems to dominate the media at the moment, in spite of all the other bad things that are going on, and it's probably one of the few areas we as individuals can take action. I'm talking the 'cost of living crisis', as it's being billed, which is creeping up on us all and no sign of a 'cure'.

Now I have to say P is not a panicker, he's been in business all his life and taken the downs with the ups and I've been through most of them with him. But the increasingly gloomy outlook for our UK economy (more so than many others) is getting through to me which is why I broached the subject. I knew he wouldn't like it and he didn't, he said it would pass and that it would probably even present opportunities. I knew what he meant by that, he was talking markets but I was talking practical everyday things we could do to reduce outgoings.

'Give me a list of all the areas you think we could cut down on and then we can sit and talk about them', he said. '....And don't forget to mention hair, manicures, pedicures, skin creams and such.'

I said I didn't want to make a list it seemed too clinical, I was thinking journeys, shopping changes, discretionary spending and those sort of things. He said maybe there were some areas we could cut but we'd probably have different ideas on what were essentials and what were not and it probably wouldn't get very far. We agreed to look for areas, as we go along, where we could make changes which would cut costs without cutting pleasure. Easier said than done but that's the plan and I feel better having at least aired the subject. We'll see how it goes.

Later the same day we were over at our son's discussing a family holiday abroad we're thinking of taking in October. Our son was sensibly querying costs and do we need this and that and whereas P's comments were more along the lines of 'it will be better with this' and 'bigger not smaller'. I think it will be hard work getting him into economy mode.

Maybe a few clashes along the way. I hope so:)

Stay safe.

Have a good week.

Ronnie
xx  

6 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie,

I think many of us are having similar conversations, things are sure bleak at the moment. I'm sure you will resolve any clashes the way you do best :)

Hugs
Roz

Hermione said...

You are very likely to have differing opinions on where to cut costs. I hope it results in spankings and eventual meeting of the minds.

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

I think P should put you on a tight budget and punish you when you go over it. I propose he give you one spank for each dollar that you exceed your limit. Maybe have a special meeting each week to balance the books? It sounds like you will not be sitting too comfortably for a while.

PK said...

Keep pushing your agenda - it's bound to lead to some sound spankings as I know you're hoping for. But I'm really with P on these things. I mean don't spend yourselves out of house and home, but continue to enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Ronnie…I’ve been promised a maintenance spanking every Saturday morning to remind me not to overspend!

Sophie x

ronnie said...

Roz - So many people are really struggling and some of these people have good jobs but can't afford everything going up. Thanks.

Hermione - I'm sure i will. Thanks.

Anonymous - I like the sound of that:) Thanks.

PK - I'm sure I'll be getting the spankings. I've started cutting on aa few things. Thanks.

Sophie - You'd better be careful or not:) Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx