Wednesday 17 November 2021

The Cuddly Post Office

It had a cosy place in the British way of life for decades, providing a much needed service to many, especially in rural areas; trusted helpful and friendly, often incorporating additional sales anything from greetings cards and the likes to a full local village or neighbourhood store. But times have changed, much of what post office outlets used to do can now be done online and, with the explosive growth in online trading, they seem to now be mainly outlets for dispatching and receiving mail. Or that is my experience from the many visits I make to my local PO and friends share the same view so there is anecdotal evidence.

Queues of people waiting to weigh and send mail instead of queuing for help with their passport application or car tax/ Thought some larger branches still do.

So now to my point and my frustration. The 'evil' monster behind all our post offices is Royal Mail, which used to be a state owned monster but is now a publicly owned one. They are just as inefficient but now using sharper practice to cover their faults and to try to extract more money from their users.

I spend a lot of money with Royal Mail annually, dispatching stuff to dozens of countries, and I have to say their service level is abysmal when things go wrong, which they seem to be increasingly doing of late. I have had more packages go AWOL in the last six months than in the last three years. They haven't all been lost, some have reached their destination weeks or even months later than forecast. Others have been rejected (mistakenly) by poorly trained staff and returned to sender. Some have gone to the wrong country and done a round trip before finally returning to source. The reasons given have been Brexit and of course Covid. Hardly ever an acknowledgement that Royal Mail had screwed up and never an offer to compensate for more than the actual postage cost and then you have to wait weeks for them to agree to pay it and more weeks before you actually get a cheque.

In the real world you can't do that. You can't tell a customer they have to wait for a Royal Mail inquiry to conclude before they can get their goods or reimbursement for not getting them. You would just lose the customer and get bad reviews to boot. So what do you do, or what do I do....if I can see there's a problem I first say sorry to the customer for the inconvenience and tell them what I think the realistic chance of the package arriving is. I offer to re-send the goods at my own expense or, if preferred, a full refund. Most customers either wait a bit longer or go for a re-send which I'm happy to do.

And that leaves me to deal with the monster that is Royal Mail and it is a nightmare of form-filling, proof of this, proof of that, scans or photo images to back up, post office counter receipts, it takes a lot of time. Then, at the end of it, when you think you're done and you can press 'Send' to log it into the RM system, a little message pops saying you haven't waited long enough from the anticipated delivery due date (in my most recent case 25 days) for the form to be valid, please re-apply when you have reached the qualifying number of days. Why the FFFF don't they tell you that at the start? And why don't they let you save the form so that you can revert to it later without doing the whole thing over?

I could do a long list of stuff which would sound funny but not funny if you're in the middle of it. It's almost as if they make it as hard as possible to get through to them to put you off even trying. Then they don't have to pay out. No, they wouldn't do that would they?

Ah well, rant over. Anybody else get angry with their mail services?

A little reminder - don't forget Friday 19th is Love our Lifestyle celebration.

If you haven't heard/read anything about it, please visit Hermione's blog.

I hope you'll stop by. I wont be around for the morning but hopefully visit later in the day.

Thanks to Enzo for providing the image.

Stay safe.

Ronnie
xx

12 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie, ugh how frustrating! Post office services have changed a lot here over the years. So much is now online or no longer handled by the post office.

Fortunately, I don't have to deal with them very often so don't have too many problems. It is frustrating this time of year though with long queues of people sending parcels. It takes them forever to process each one!

Hugs
Roz

Anonymous said...

i live in Greece and primarily use a UK bank account. About 5 years ago an ATM swallowed my card and I could not get it back. The bank were very efficient and in 3 days a new card was with my sister. She went to the village post office who as you say were very helpful and chatty as normal. The card was sent by special delivery and it was said to take 3 days which may have been true for a main city but not a remote island. The usual route was followed through the central place in Germany where it was relabeled. based on the dates I could see that took about 3 weeks from dispatch. It took a further week to get to Athens where it was relabeled again before 3 days later it arrived on a Thursday at a courier's office, not the post office.

The irony is an ordinary letter was sent by ordinary mail from Sheffield on the Monday of the same week as arriving the same day as the special delivery letter.....

based on my experience, any letter or parcel posted that is sent that requires to be signed for on arrival goes to the German hub which is jointly owned by many national post offices. Some times it is very efficient, but more often than not that is where the parcel black hole starts.........

Anonymous said...

I’m not sure how good they are with overseas delivery but in the uk I find Hermes much easier to use than the post office. You can print the label at the drop off point and usually less queues

Keep up the good work Ronnie

Jake

morningstar said...

Lord I can't imagine having to deal that !! My worst 'mail' story is how inefficient the routing is here.... when we order something that comes by Canada Post - we watch the routing tickets tell us everywhere the parcel goes..... It will head out from BC - land in Toronto (fine makes sense) then instead of heading straight down the 401 to us... it comes part way down the 401 - takes a sharp left turn and heads North to Ottawa - then sits in a post office there for a few days before heading south (an hour south) to us.......

Thankfully we don't rely on the post the way you do....

Aimless Rambling said...

I know how frustrating this is. The US Mail is no better or worse and what can you do. Our postal rates are sky high and I cut down on the packages because of it, but then all of the companies have increased their shipping costs also. It's a mess.

Our Bottoms Burn said...

Just as bad in the states. Disappointed to know that taking Royal private did not improve service.

Anonymous said...

in Canada, now you have to fill everything online if you want to send a parcel, not fill out a form at the post office. This, it means you have to have a home computer, or trundle off to the Library to fill in the information. You need a code square that can be scanned at the post office, so you either print it or have to have a mobile device. Simple nonsense for everyone, specially older people.
bottoms up
Red

ronnie said...

Roz - Thanks. I'm dreading the run up to Christmas so keeping fingers crossed no more loss items, though saying that, I've had a message from a buyer saying item not received:(

Anonymous - Yes, seems that an ordinary letter/parcel get's there quicker than a parcel that is tracked or needs a signature. Thanks.

Jake - It's the overseas ones that seem to go stray. I've used Hermes twice and both times package arrived damaged. Thankfully it wasn't that damaged that you could see what was in there so. Thanks.

Morningstar - That sounds daft. Seems mail is bad in most countries. I always thought Canada would be straight forward. Two parcels were sent to US and after two weeks was returned to me. Apparently they went to Hungry instead of US. A nightmare. Thanks.

SG - I know what you mean about high prices to send things. Sometimes postage costs more than the item you are sending. Thanks.

OBB - It's worse in my opinion. Thanks.

Red - We have same here. You can print postage labels. Still it doesn't stop things going astray, that's my problem. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Hermione said...

Our local mail all gets routed to another city first, then gets sent back to us. What a waste of time.

Red, I didn't know you had to do parcels online only. The only time I did it, the clerk at the sub-PO had no ideas what to do with it, and did it all over again by hand.

Hugs,
Hermione

Terpsichore said...

So, truly frustrating. I have been fortunate here, but I have heard others with stories of packages getting lost or sent to the wrong address...
Hugs

Anonymous said...

I work with a woman in what could be considered a cottage industry here in the 'colonies'. We mail probably 100 parcels monthly. Most are delivered as expected, although it can cost $40 to ship a $20 product if it's going cross-country.
Fortunately, upon those occasions when things go pear shaped, I have the contact information for the local commercial accounts manager. She's quite helpful in setting things right.

ronnie said...

Hermione - That seems mad to me. A aste of money as well. Thanks.

Terps - Seems to be getting worse. Thanks.

Anonymous - I wish I had some one I could call to sort things out when they go wrong. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx