Wednesday 26 May 2021

They look like jodhpurs

It made all the difference. When my husband told me my newly-acquired leggings reminded him of jodhpurs it changed my attitude to wearing them completely.

P often tells me I wear jeans too often, he says the occasional skirt works, colourful chinos, summer dresses whatever. This isn't some new phenomena, he's said it for years and I do listen to him and I do switch things around but my idea of switching things around is wearing faded or not so faded, bum shapers or slim fit, high rise or hip fit, lighter material all applicable to jeans of course. But on our recent holiday he tried to persuade me to get some leggings. He has mentioned it before but only in passing or so I thought, but on holiday he noticed our daughter in law wore them more than jeans and, around the holiday park where we stayed, they were ubiquitous woman-wear well that was how he put it.
 
I've always said I'm too old for leggings and have told him so and he has said that was just nonsense, a state of mind. Anyway back home he saw me chatting outside the front of the house with a friend from down the road and when I came back in he casually (seemingly) asked me if I'd noticed what Sonja had been wearing. No I hadn't, I told him, but she has good taste in clothes and always dresses well and looks good. He agreed and then told me she'd been wearing leggings. And she's three years older than me. Am I behind the times, he asked with a smile.
 
Hmm. So I bought a pair from M&S, probably not the best, but hey it was just to prove to him that they don't suit me or I look ridiculous in them or whatever, just to get him to shut up about 'controlling my wardrobe':) I put them on and sheepishly came downstairs in them the other day, I had a long top on to make it less obvious what I was wearing. I made a cup of tea and sat down in the lounge with my ipad, P was reading. "Well?" I said after about half an hour. "Well what?" asked my husband without looking up. "You haven't even noticed," I protested.
 
Then he looked up but to my face not my legs. I shrugged my shoulders. Over to you, P. Then the penny dropped and he beamed, "Ah you've taken my advice, good girl."
 
He got me to stand up, twizzle round, then lift up my top which I wouldn't at first do but he insisted so I did. Then bend down and pick up my ipad. I felt ridiculous and told him they were for youngsters, Boohoo generation, not me. He told me not at all they were great, practical, comfortable he presumed. I had to agree they were comfortable but I couldn't possibly wear them out. Then he told me they looked very much like jodhpurs. My ears pricked up. Only thinner, he said, nice contours. I felt myself blush. You may know that I do have a bit of a kink for things equestrian and I do have some fond and somewhat painful memories of time spent in jodhpurs. My mind raced.
 
"Well I suppose they are pretty versatile, " I acknowledged, "and very easy to slip on....and washable," I added. "Maybe I could shop for a better quality pair."
 
"No no," said my husband. "Better quality suggests thicker material, bells and whistles, keep it simple, thin and tight. Even a little bit slutty."
 
Then he told me he didn't really care whether I wore them out or not although he would find it perfectly acceptable if I did. But around the house he thought they were perfect and would be a very good match for a nice leather strap or perhaps the cane. I felt myself go hot again but later looked on the M&S website to see what other colours they had:)

Stay safe.
 
Ronnie
xx 

8 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie, well it sounds as though you definitely need to get some more pairs:) I do wear leggings at home but not generally out of the house.

Hugs
Roz

PK said...

Excellent Ronnie! I can't see myself wearing them out either. I haven't really tried them for around the house. In a whole other direction, I need pockets!

Hermione said...

I couldn't bring myself to wear them outside the house, but inside they are very comfortable, and only Ron sees them. Glad P arroved of your purchase.

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

Slightly sad how you let yourself believe you are too old to wear something, specially where people will see you, but really glad P's encouragement has you looking to purchase more. You might even suggest next time you wear them that he hasn't spanked you wearing them, so you need encouragement from him to purchase another pair. Do remember that p, like myself, still think our wife looks amazingly beautiful.
bottoms up
Red

Anonymous said...

Well I think I'm older than you and I wear them in and out of the house. They feel more comfy than jeans. I remember the comment when I was young, "mutton dressed as lamb". Never said about men of course!

I tend to trust my daughters and check with them,if I'm worried that something is too young for me.If they approve, which they usually do, I stop worrying.

Best wishes,

Alice

ozarkshillbilyhippie said...

I have been thinking about this leggings issue and although I can't see you in leather a decent par seems perfectly lady like if you need to preserve your vanity wear rythem under a skirt is we that a lot over here some kinda short well there's my two cents dear lady

ozarkshillbilyhippie said...

Damn auto correct did it to me again

ronnie said...

Roz - Hven't bought another pair yet, but I will:) Thanks.

PK - I can understand about pockets but I carry a handbag but still I know I wuldn't feel comfortable wearing them outside Thanks.

Hermione - Yes I agree they are comfortable and I shall continue to wear them inside only. Thanks.

Red - Not sad at all, practical, I wouldn't wear a mini skirt because i'm too old for a piece of clothing like that. House only for them. Thanks.

Alice - Yes your daughters would tell you if they thought they didn't look right. I'll stick to wearing them inside. Thanks.

Ozarkshillbilyhippie - I think I'd be happier wearing a leather pair. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx