Wednesday 13 May 2020

DIY Birthday Treat

'As we're in lockdown and can't invite you over for a meal or take you out for one, and as it's your birthday soon, I'd like to invite you to DIY a delicious tournedo rossini comprising fillet steak, streaky rashers, home-made pate, madeira sauce, cauliflower cheese and duchesse potatoes. Add a green veg of your choice (you'll need to pick that up direct), the rest will be made or part-made ready for you to flash in the pan or oven and eat. Oh and a bottle of Louis Jadot to swill it all down.'

That was the message my husband whatsapped our son. It's the first time for many years that we haven't been able to do what we usually do when his birthday comes around so P thought it would be amusing and original. And nice! The only thing was he had to come and collect it from us because if we went and dropped it off, against the current social distancing rules which P doesn't think much of anyway, our granddaughter might see us arrive which might cause a scene. If not from our granddaughter screaming to get out of the door to get at us, then from P dashing to get in the door to give her the biggest hug in the world:) Not allowed P, not yet.

So there we are, we have to be innovative through this difficult time. I think I've passed my day of maximum lockdown rejection about a week ago, until the next one of course, P doesn't seem to get one isolated day he hates it every day, mostly because of the inept (his opinion) handling by our government, not because he doesn't believe some measures are necessary.

I said to him 'I hope you've put aside a couple of portions for us, it sounds delicious'. 'Oh shit, I didn't think of that,' was his reply, he actually had a look of what-an-idiot-I-am on his face when he said it. Then he said, 'Well never mind, I'll just make ours fresh.' Then as an afterthought, '....but minus the Louis Jadot because I haven't got another.'

I'll let him off. And hold him to the meal!


Ronnie
xx 

10 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie,

Oh I hope you get that meal, it sounds delicious! What a wonderful idea for a b'day gift. It's so hard not being able to see loved ones, especially on special occasions.

We move to a much lower level of restrictions from tomorrow. We can now see family and close friends again but continue to keep physical distance from others.


Hugs
Roz

Fondles said...

That sounds totally delish. Me, I ordered a beef brisket burger for the mother today cos she loves a good tender brisket. So far no complaints.

Happy birthday to your son! I'm sure the lockdown is tough on the granddaughter. Poor dear.

morningstar said...

What a brilliant idea for your son's birthday!!! We missed my daughter's 40th -- it really did make me sad.....and saying 'we'll make up for it when this is over' just isn't cutting it anymore with me....

Enjoy your dinner :) it sounds delightful!

Hermione said...

What a delicious-sounding meal! I hope they all enjoy it. MAybe you could whip up a birthday cake to go with it.

Hugs,
Hermione

Anonymous said...

when I saw the title I thought it was going to be about you getting a birthday spanking!

PK said...

It's rough not being able to get my hands on LJ and Mollie and they're grown. It would be so much harder to have a little one I wanted to cuddle. Hang in there!

ronnie said...

Roz - Thanks. I hope we can move to easy restrictions soon. At the moment we can meet another person from another household in public keeping social distances. So you can see your mom or dad but not together at the same time.

Fondles - Thanks. At least we can do facetime.

Morningstar - Yes I totally agree, it's not the same at a later date. Thanks.

Hermione - Thanks. I was going to but his SIL was making one for him.

Anonymous - Life happens and can't always be all about spanking:) Thanks.

PK- Hopefully in the next few weeks our Government changes it's mind on Grandparents seeing their grandchildren. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Aimless Rambling said...

I'll come and bring the Louis Jadot. - Sounds delish

ronnie said...

SG - You'd be very welcome:) Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Anonymous said...

A delightful idea from P. Seems like that is something to copy within our family.
bottoms up
Red