Monday 7 February 2022

Dilemma

Well it's a dilemma for some, perhaps a relief for others.

You see some people, who may not necessarily know they are going to get the cane, or should I say were going to get it, may not be. Because there is a shortage of rattan coming out of Indonesia, firstly because the costs of shipping has risen about tenfold and secondly because Indonesia has restricted raw materials exports to the West. So containers are filling with higher value items and I don't know what the solution is right now although some wheeler and dealers are trying to find a way through.

My own stocks are dwindling. Anyone who has a cane and likes using it (or receiving it - or both, lol) I'd say look after it because if you need to replace or upgrade, there may be less choice around and they may be more expensive. Same applies to anyone looking for their first dip into caning. I told P about it, he smiled and said, 'Don't worry I've got three and I've had them for ages and they still work the same as they did when I first acquired them.'

I can vouch for that.]

Stay safe.

Have a good week.

Ronnie
xx   

8 comments:

Fondles said...

Man that sucks. I have access to canes here at the dollar shops. We still have plenty of supply. What i DON'T have access to is BIKSS> between his bug and mum testing positive for Covid, I don't think we'll be seeing each other till the end of February!

Roz said...

Oh no Ronnie, that is such a shame (did you catch the sarcasm?). Seriously though, it does suck and I'm sorry this is impacting on your business. I hope there is a solution soon.

Hugs
Roz

Hermione said...

Oh dear, first toilet paper and now canes. What's next to be in short supply?

Could P craft some wooden paddles for you to sell in the meantime? Or perhaps go to thrift shops, buy up all the leather belts, then modify and rebrand them. Any birch trees in your area?

Hugs,
Hermione

PK said...

You know I don't care for canes but I hate that they may be in short supply for those who do want them. Do you ever use bamboo? We sure seem to have plenty of that here.

Laxmi said...

Ash tree?
Bay?

Anonymous said...

Should that be I can ouch for that?
Jake

Baker said...

That is a dilemma.
--Baker

ronnie said...

Fondles - I am so sorry to hear about both BIKKS and your mum. I hope she isn't too bad with Covid. Thanks,

Roz - I did catch your sarcasm:) I am talking to a couple of people so keeping fingers crossed. Thanks.

Hermione - Wood would cost a lot to make only a few paddles. Belts, don't think so but thank you for your suggestions. Doubt people would buy cut birch from the forest:)

PK - No bamboo too rigid for the type of canes selling. Good thought though. Thanks.

Laxmi - Thanks but no would;t be correct.

Jake - Wont be an ouch for a lot of my customers if I can't re-stock:) Thanks.

Baker - As I said to Roz, I am talking so hopefully I can get some.Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx