Monday 8 July 2019

Lionesses downn for now

So no open-top bus tour for our girls. "They have captured the hearts of the nation and made history with television viewing figures, but their coach has said there will be no heroes’ welcome home because his players do not deserve one," according to Sunday's Times.  (you wont be able to read whole article as you would need to register)

Phil Neville looked absolutely furious in this photo of him screaming at them from the sideline. I personally watched both games, the one against the US (congratulations to the girls for winning the World Cup) and the one against Sweden and enjoyed them too and I accept we need to play harder and better but hey, women's football is still at a nascent stage and at least it got great media coverage and hopefully there will be more entrants to the game and continued national interest.



My husband, predictably, after reading the article, opined to me that perhaps if Neville put some of that furious energy into spanking the girls' bottoms when they under perform in training or matches, they might up their act. He said they needed something to put fire into them. I told him he was getting confused between bottoms and bellies, the expression is fire in their bellies. He just said start with the bottoms.

"I think there might be a mass walkout," I said.

"Well there certainly wouldn't be a mass sit-in, not if he did the job properly," he laughed at his little joke. "and who knows, the new policy might attract new talent."

I told him I thought it might attract a queue of applicants for the coach position and assistant coaches. Not to mention a few lawsuits:) 


Please stop by Wednesday to read my answers to PK's meme.

Have a good week.

Ronnie
xx 

10 comments:

Michael M said...

Nice picture. Losing side getting spanked by the winners? Sweden spanks Lionesses? I know. In my dreams.

Roz said...

LoL Ronnie, trust P to come up with a solution lol

Hugs
Roz

PK said...

I love P's idea. I'm afraid it wouldn't work out in the long run, but it's still a great idea.

Ella said...

"Couch Coaching by P" It could catch on perhaps. Instead of a high five, there is a spanking in their future. Anyway the idea gets some applause for originality!

Hugs Across the Pond,
Ella

Anonymous said...

Fun idea by P. However, I think the picture of Phil Neville shouting at his players shows him to be an INCOMPETENT coach. He was appointed in Jan 2018, and has had some time to adapt to coaching women. Obviously not enough, and will these women, the best in England, want him to remain.
""I am honoured to be given the chance to lead England. With the new coaching team we are putting in place, we can help the players build on their great progress in recent years. This squad is on the verge of something special and I believe I can lead them to the next level," Neville said." Words he spoke when hired, and quoted in the press.
I did not see any other coach yelling at his players throughout the tournament.
bottoms up
Red

Aimless Rambling said...

Thanks for the congrats for the women's team - sorry about the loss to the UK but now our ladies get to turn down a visit to the WH - which I'm pretty sure gave the more incentive to win (haha).

Love P's suggestion and who know it might work.

Rosie Jones said...

I watched the English ladies’ matches but I still don’t know the off-side rule. Interesting idea of P’s!
Rosie xx

Hermione said...

I'm not a football fan but spanking would certainly inspire the girls to try harder.

Hugs,
Hermione

QBuzz said...

Didn't the last coach get sacked after unspecified 'questionable behaviour'... perhaps a few Lionesses got spanked by their coach after all ;D

ronnie said...

Michael - Draaams can come true:) Thanks.

Roz - He thought it a very good idea:) Thanks.

PK - Definitely wouldn't work but fun to think. Thanks.

Ella - I thought his idea was funny. Thanks.

Red - In myn opinion I don't think the girls wanted it enough. I didn't know he had said all that. Thanks.

SG - LOL. Good for them Thanks.

Rosie - I'm not 100% sure I know the off side rule either. Thanks.

Hermione - Fun to think it would. Thanks.

QBuzz - Oh I'm not sure. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx