Sunday 11 November 2018

100 years



Oh! you who sleep in Flanders Fields,
Sleep sweet - to rise anew!
We caught the torch you threw
And holding high, we keep the Faith
With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led;
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies,
But lends a lustre to the red
Of the flower that blooms above the dead
In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red
We wear in honor of our dead.
Fear not that ye have died for naught;
We'll teach the lesson that ye wrought
In Flanders Fields

November 1918

I know the poem but didn't know Moina Belle Michael (an American professor and humanitarian) conceived the idea of using poppies as a symbol of remembrance for those who served in World War I.

Please join me in remembering all who went to battle and never came home, our service men and women who have been injured and to all those who are currently serving. 


THANK YOU

Ronnie
xx

9 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie,

What a beautiful tribute and the poem gets me every time I read it. Joining you in grattitude and appreciation of those who have served and continue to serve in our allied forces and their families and Remembrance of those who paid the ultimate price.

Hugs
Roz

Katie said...

Hi Ronnie, :) Such a beautiful, beautiful poem! I too am touched by it every time I come across it.

Rob and I were driving through a local town the other day. There were poppies everywhere along the grassy areas in the center of town. It was beautiful. I was telling Rob about that poem. Now I can read it to him.

Always have so much gratitude for the brave men and women who serve, have served, and have given their lives while helping to keep us safe and free. Many hugs,

❤️Katie xoxo

Aimless Rambling said...

Wonderful tribute. It's hard to conceive the courage of the men and women, past, present and future, that serve so that we stay safe. God Bless them all.

Ella said...

Every year we go to a program to honor our veterans and they hand out little red poppies to be worn on your lapel. We save ours and stick them on a memo board in Sam's study. There's not a whole field of poppies yet, but there is a good bouquet. I love to reread this poem, Ronnie. Thanks for posting it this weekend.

Hugs Across the Pond,
Ella

Anonymous said...

Ronnie,
Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem.
Meredith

1ManView said...

Thank you, Ronnie. We (veterans) appreciate the lovely tribute...


💋🌹
1ManView

Rosie Jones said...

Ronnie, I don’t know that poem. Thank you for sharing it.
Rosie xx

MrJ said...

Thank you!

ronnie said...

Roz - Thank you. Gets me as well.

Katie - That would have been a beautiful sight seeing all those poppies. Thanks.

SG - Thank you. You said it - God bless them all.

Ella - I didn't go to one this year but stood for the two minute silence. Thanks.

Meredith - Thank you It was my pleasure to pay tribute to all our service men and women.

1MV - Thank you. We must remember and give thanks.

Rosie - I like to read this one. Thanks

Mr J - We should always remember. Thank you.

Love,
Ronnie
xx