Monday 23 October 2017

The Cane for Rod

So Rod Liddle, a leading regular feature writer at the Times, got caned frequently at school and his mother kept a selection of canes at home which were used to maintain discipline in the Liddle family. The canes (his mother's not the school's) were taken from the garden so presumably she had plenty to choose from and replacements available if ever one broke, which, in my own experience, can happen with garden canes. All this is revealed in his column (you wont be able to read article as you have to subscribe to it), the main focus of which is actually the banning of smacking children in Scotland.

It's a funny thought that while the spanking of children, which has been an accepted right of parents, schools and authority figures over centuries, is diminishing and on the verge of extinction whereas the spanking of adults is at an all time high and growing. I don't like state intervention dictating what we can and can't do but overall I'm in favour in the case of kids. Needless to say I wouldn't like to see it extended to adults:)

As for Rod Liddle, a writer who sometimes writes observant and funny things but not always, I would imagine he might well still have a little soft spot for those caning days. Perhaps he still gets it, they do say that many an adult participant can trace back the origins of their little peccadillo to youthful experiences. Not from his mother of course but perhaps his wife keeps him in check; if so I have a little bit of advice, don't use up garden canes, keep them in the soil, invest in some nice kooboos, they're much more flexible.  

Have a good week.

Ronnie
xx

11 comments:

Roz said...

Hi Ronnie, I wasn't able to read the full article without subscribing. It is interesting how the spanking of children is becoming more and more prohibited while the spanking of adults is becoming more popular. We passed laws here prohibiting the spanking of children several years ago.

Hugs
Roz

Rosie Jones said...

I don’t subscribe to the Times either but know of Rod Liddle. Perhaps you could send him an ad for your canes?
Rosie xx

an English Rose said...

Hi Ronnie, what Rosie said! I was just thinking the same thing.
love Jan, xx

Hermione said...

Spanking is against the law here too but really, some children really do need a good smack from time to time. Bad behaviour seems to be accepted as the norm nowadays. A short, sharp shock would do much more good than endless threats of cornertime or loss of a privilege that are never carried out.

Hugs,
Hermione

Aimless Rambling said...

Spanking in schools here is taboo, at least in most states, but as Hermione said some children could sure you a good spanking. My daughter, who is a teacher, will attest to that.

I don't advocate spanking for children, but it sure was a part of my upbringing. I don't know if that started my bent or not, but I didn't like it then. lol

Anonymous said...

I like the idea that you send him a link to your blog and an offer to sell him canes that are more effective than garden stakes.
bottoms up
Red

Ella said...

While I still think it ought to be at the discretion of the parent, the fear of child abuse is something to be considered. I had to report it to the police several times in my career, and it made me physically sick.

I met lots of children over my years of teaching that needed a little OTK time handled by wise and loving parents, but I don't think it is a teacher's place.

Hugs Across the Pond,
Ella

Eric51Amy49 said...

Hi Ronnie, You pose an interesting question which Hermione could turn into one of her brunch topics. "Were you spanked as a child and do you think it had anything to do with your desire to be spanked as an adult?" Eric and I don't have kids together but respectively, we never spanked our children. Actually, I don't know if he was spanked growing up. I'll have to ask him!
Amy

Cat said...

Hey Hermione...I was not spanked as a child...my dad just had to raise his voice and/or give me the look for me to be in tears. I agree with Amy...that would be an interesting question for one of Hermione's brunch topics.

Hugs and blessings...Cat

ronnie said...

Roz - Sorry Roz, P is a subscriber and I forgot you wouldn't be able to read the article. I think some children would benefit from a short spanking by their parents. Thanks.

Rosie - Rod has some funny views. Don't think he would take me up on the canes. Thanks.

Jan - If I think he would use it I would:) Thanks.

Hermione - I do agree, some children would benefit from it. Thanks.

SG - Yes funny how some didin't like being spanked as children but now adults they love it:) Thanks.

Red - Somehow I don't think he would use it. Thanks.

Ella - To hear and see some of the children abused makes me sick but I do agree with you that some children could do with a little spanking from loving parents. Thanks.

Amy - Both us us not spanked as children. P went to a tradition old grammar school and the cane was in regular use though P never had it. Will pass question onto Hermione. Thanks.

Cat - Same with me, no spankings, dad's look and voice was enough. Thanks.

Love,
Ronnie
xx

Blondie said...

Sorry I am late to the conversation. Your post is very interesting and brings up more questions like they all said. I hope he buys one of your canes and I wasn't spanked as a child.