Monday 8 December 2008

Turner Prize



Hello everybody,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

I came across a magazine article yesterday which made me smile, it was in Scarlet Magazine, which is full of tidbits for women, a few interesting and amusing articles from time to time (London Spanking Solicitor, which I'll print another time) and I found the following picture, which caught my eye for obvious reasons.


It was entry by Gillian Carnegie for the 2005 Turner Prize (for anybody doesn’t know about the Turner Prize it's a contemporary art award that was set up in 1984 to celebrate new developments in contemporary art.The prize is awarded each year to a British artist under fifty for an outstanding exhibition or other presentation). You wouldn’t believe some of the entries they call art, P said Turner (JMW Turner the artist) would turn in his grave (several times) at some of the entries over the years, even though he was considered highly unconventional in his day using strong brush stokes and vibrant colour to powerful effect.


Apparently the Carnegie entry didn’t win. P said it needed a bit of colour and was sure if the subject been dealt with before the picture was taken it would have stood a far better chance. The actual winner was a shed turned into boat. Hmmmmm, craft not art I would say.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie;
Thanks for posting a comment on my blog. It's so nice to get feedback. You posted a beautiful picture here, it's lovely to look at and emits a wonderful feeling. As for walmarts...I think one of the many wonderful things that i love about your country (my husband and I honeymooned there), is that there are no Walmarts there!
Take care
Andrades

ronnie said...

Thanks for stopping by Andrades, I appreciate it.

Lovely to hear you honeymooned here, hope it was memorable and didn't rain too much for you.

Ronnie
xx